Saturday, August 29, 2009

What Might Have Been

Okay I've tried to post this at least twelve hundred times tonight on MetalSucks, it's gonna be really funny if the other times I posted magically show up.

I was asked what I had planned if I won the MS Takeover contest...

To be honest I really didn't have much prepared, I figured the results were a forgone conclusion. I definitely would've given some love to the boys in Whitesnake though. And there woulda been lotsa feathers and glitter.

Seriously though, one band I would've covered was Portal. Brilliant Australian death metal, and it takes a lot for a death metal band to catch my attention. The genre just doesn't appeal to me much, but these guys do it right in my book (except for some ridiculous costumes). I encourage everyone to check them out on Profound Lore Records, especially since this band has never been mentioned at all on MetalSucks. In fact, there are many good bands on Profound Lore that MS neglects. It was refreshing to see Salome get some coverage a little while ago. Anyway, Portal is an extremely talented, raw, and dark as fuck band. Death metal as it was supposed to be.

I think another interesting topic to cover would be a throwback to the NWOBHM. Most of these bands, and pre-1990s bands in general, don't get the coverage they deserve on this site. I've been researching the formation of the scene, and it'd be cool to learn about what it was like to be there while it was in full swing (the idea comes from a recent issue of Classic Rock Magazine which had some pretty nice pictures of the 'night NWOBHM was born'). Coverage of some of the bands history forgot, not necessarily the Maiden, Priest, Def Leppard as usual.

Also I would've definitely included some sludge and stoner metal. I can never get enough of bands like Clutch, Nebula, Down, Black Cobra, Sleep, Kyuss, Eyehategod, etc. I also would've recommended some lesser known bands in these genres like Elder and others. The usual reaction when bands like these (Clutch in particular) are mentioned on this site is overwhelmingly positive, so it'd be nice to give the people what they like while covering some of my favorite genres. Heavy psychedelics and sludgy riffage all the way, while retaining musicality unlike Sunn O))) and \\\Maytag or whatever. I like me some metal that keeps the blues still in the picture.

That's about all I had in mind, thanks for the interest though!

And God I hope I haven't posted this a million times...

1 comment:

  1. honestly, man. even that would have probably been more interesting than hearing ziltoid go on about \\\maytag for the billionth fucking time.

    ReplyDelete